How to Appeal a New Charge While in Prison

Updated on Friday 27th July 2018

Offenders in UK who are found guilty of another crime while in prison have the right to appeal the new charge. Our criminal defence solicitors in London have a wide experience in appeal cases and can offer complete legal support for offenders accused of crimes.

Steps in appealing a new verdict

As soon as the hearing for the new charge was closed and the verdict was issued, the offender, with the help of his/her solicitor in UK has the right to appeal the verdict within 6 weeks. The Briefing and Casework Unit in UK receives the appeal forms of criminals charged and found guilty of new accusations. Besides these forms, all other documents or evidence of the case are solicited by the authorities, in order to review the new decision. The Deputy Director of Custody or the Director of High Security are the entitled authorities who will decide whether the appeal is accepted or not. We remind that any of the above-mentioned steps need to be attentively supervised from a legal point of view by a criminal lawyer in London.

Who makes the decision for the appeal in UK?

The reviewer who verifies the case and the appeal can make the decision and can agree on reducing the new sentence if the evidence helps in this case. Also, the same authority can cancel the guilty verdict and the issued sentence, a case where the offender will only serve the first sentence issued for the initial crime. It is good to know that if the appeal was a success and if additional sentence will not be issued, the offender will still be condemned for the relevant crime.

An ineffective appea

The cases where the appeals for the new charges are unsuccessful can determine the prisoner to make another appeal, this time for the issued sentence. A judicial review is essential in this case and if there is no solid evidence, the prisoner can receive a lower sentence.

We invite you to contact our team of criminal defence lawyers in UK for legal assistance in cases of appeals for new charges while in prison.