How to Disclose a Criminal Record in UK

Updated on Friday 23rd November 2018

Rate this article
based on 2 reviews

How to Disclose a Criminal Record in UK Image
The criminal record reflects whether an individual has committed crimes or not. Any offence you have dealt with is recorded by the police in UK, in accordance with the provisions of Data Protection Act 1998. Persons can receive a copy of their criminal record and have the right to know what kind of information the authorities held about them. Our criminal defence solicitors in London can provide you with legal support if you want to disclose your criminal record, or if you need representation in the court of law.

Getting a copy of your criminal record in UK

Individuals who want to know what kind of information the police hold about them can apply for a “Subject Access Request” at the Association of Chief Police Officer’s Criminal Record Office in UK. For a particular fee, a person can see the criminal record via the web page of the authority or can make an application at the local office. A criminal record in UK contains details about any convictions, final warnings, penalties, cautions or arrests. Such information about a person’s criminal record is usually kept in police archives for 100 years and cannot be deleted on any kind of request.

We remind that once your application to access your criminal record has been accepted, you will receive a disclosure certificate with the basic information about your criminal record. Before making the application and ask for a disclosure of the criminal record, we suggest you talk to one of our defence solicitors in London who can help you understand, in legal terms, what to expect about your criminal record in UK, if any.

How to get rid of cautions and convictions from the police records in UK

Cautions can be issued for varied types of criminal offences, where individuals admit they are guilty of the accusations made. Even if there is no possibility of appealing a caution, you have the right to challenge it as soon as you have received such penalty. As for the convictions registered in your criminal record held by the police, these cannot be erased once they have been issued by the court of law in UK. In this matter, our defence solicitors in London can propose you appeal against the verdict, and if accepted, the conviction might be removed from your police record, but not from your overall criminal record.

For any information about how to disclose a criminal record in UK, we invite you to contact our team of criminal defence solicitors in London.