Shoplifting Solicitors in London
|When can accusations of shoplifting be brought?||If a person or a group of people steal goods, products, or money from a store and are caught.|
|Shoplifting can take place in neighborhood stores, supermarkets, hypermarkets, malls, etc.|
Who makes arrests in cases of shoplifting?
The local police
|What rights do you have in police custody?|| |
You have the right to:
- a lawyer,
- medical assistance,
- explanation of legal rights,
- legal aid under certain circumstances.
|How long can you be held in police custody for shoplifting?|| |
Maximum 24 hours
|How can our shoplifting solicitors represent you?|| |
Our shoplifting solicitors can represent you in police custody and in court and explain your rights.
|How can you get rid of shoplifting charges?|| |
If there is no clear evidence about shoplifting, you can be released from police custody.
|What does criminal background mean and how can it affect you in case of shoplifting?|| |
If you are charged with other crimes, a new charge can be added to your sentence.
|Penalties for shoplifting|| |
Fines and/or imprisonment
|Legal aid for shoplifting accusations (YES/NO)||YES|
|Defence strategies for shoplifting accusations|| |
Our shoplifting lawyers can:
- check the evidence in this case,
- represent you before the authorities,
- talk to witnesses if necessary.
|Legal support for minors accused of shoplifting (YES/NO)|| |
|Video and photo evidence used in the case|| |
Store owners or those in charge of supervision can provide video and photo support for officials investigating shoplifting cases.
|Representation in the court of law (YES/NO)|| |
|Why choose our shoplifting solicitors in London?|| |
- an experienced team of solicitors,
- affordable prices,
Shoplifting accusations and penalties in UK
What happens if you are caught by the police shoplifting?
- You have the right to talk to a shoplifting solicitor in London and ask for legal advice.
- You should not answer police questions until your criminal lawyer is by your side.
- You have the right to ask for medical support if needed.
- All your rights must be explained by the police when kept into custody.
- If you cannot afford a lawyer, you can ask for legal aid and get in touch with our legal aid solicitors in London.
The cases in which you can be represented by our shoplifting solicitors in London
With vast experience in the field, our specialists have helped many people accused of shoplifting, in many cases without clear evidence in this regard. If you face problems of this kind, we advise you to contact our shoplifting solicitors. Here are the cases in which we can offer you specialized help:
- Accusations of shoplifting from places like shops, malls, supermarkets, etc.
- Shoplifting cases followed by other crimes like robbery and handling stolen goods.
- Expert legal advice in police custody, if arrested for shoplifting accusations.
Where are the shoplifting cases dealt with?
Cases of accusations of shoplifting are heard in the Crown Court or the Magistrates Court in the UK. Depending on the gravity of the facts, those accused of shoplifting and found guilty can spend up to 14 years in prison. A good shoplifting solicitor in London can represent your interests in court if the charges are not dropped in the first place.
Dealing with a voluntary police interview under caution
There are situations in which you can be called for an interview under caution at the police station. This does not mean that you are arrested, but that you will be asked some questions regarding a specific case of shoplifting where you may have been seen and complained about by another person. It is recommended not to refuse such an interview under caution because otherwise you can be accused of shoplifting until the contrary is proven, if necessary.
In this way, you can collaborate and cooperate with the police in a case of shoplifting. But we recommend specialist help offered by one of our shoplifting solicitors in London for representation and explanation of the rights you have in a voluntary police interview under caution.
On the other hand, our drug lawyers can offer you support and advice if there are accusations of this kind concerning you.
Criminal trial after shoplifting accusations
Individuals accused of shoplifting, robbery, theft, or burglary can plead "not guilty." In this case, a trial in a court of law will proceed, with the mention that you will be represented by one of our criminal defence solicitors in London. It starts with checking the evidence that led to the accusations mentioned above, to see if they are true or false.
We specify that if reasonable doubt is confirmed, offenders are most likely to be found "not guilty" for the accusations brought. But if the prosecution brings enough evidence regarding shoplifting cases, then those found guilty will receive a sentence close to the committed acts.
Regardless of the case, you must know that we are here to represent you and advise you on the charges brought. Everything starts with legal advice in police custody, if necessary. Contact our criminal solicitors in London for more details.
What happens if the charges of shoplifting are dropped?
Our specialists often come to the attention of shoplifting cases for which there is not enough evidence or material to support the accusations. In such situations, individuals cannot be accused of such an act nor kept in police custody. He/she can be released on bail until the next investigation if the case continues to be of interest to the authorities. And if you were detained in police custody and the prosecution does not have complete support for the evidence that was handed to them, then you can be released. Things are clear in this direction, but we advise you to contact us to discover your rights.
What is the defence for theft cases?
- Our team of criminal solicitors in London can offer legal advice right at the police station.
- The evidence in your case will have to be attentively measured.
- Drawing the best defence lines for theft charges enters the attention of our team of advisors.
- The lack of evidence can make you a good candidate for bail.
Choosing our shoplifting solicitors in London
Here are some statistics about shoplifting in the UK:
- Around 295,000 shoplifting cases were reported in 2022.
- Thus, 4.9/1,000 population was the crime rate registered in 2022 in the UK.
- In 2021, approximately 239,000 shoplifting crimes were reported.
- Around 4/1,000 was the crime rate registered in the UK in 2021.